Feedback

Monday, February 15, 2010

A "Royally" Happy Valentine's Day

So, you know all those lovely cookies that you see for sale on Valentine's Day (or any other holiday) that look perfectly decorated with smooth, pretty icing? Well, I thought I should have a go at making those myself!

The icing used is called Royal Icing. It was easy enough to make, powdered sugar, meringue powder, water and coloring. As I was researching this particular technique a lot of websites I found talked about how fast it dries, and went on and on about how quickly you have to work. That scared me a bit, I mean, how fast is fast?! I was preparing my self for instant solidification upon contact with air. Nothing of the sort happened. Yes, it dried to a nice hard finish, but it does take a little time! I found after flooding the cookie with the red icing it was best to put them in the fridge for a while before adding the while decorations, other wise the white sort of bled into the red and didn't look very good.




Anyway, it was a fun technique to learn and the cookies turned out to be delicious. This is what they use to do those cookie bouquets that are sold for a pretty penny. I'm thinking of starting to make those, we could definitely do a better job than those expensive places online!

No comments:

Post a Comment